The Top Ten Largest Producers of Oranges in the World + Interesting Facts
Some interesting facts about oranges.
1. Do you know that a kilogram of orange fruit can produce 500 ml of juice?
2. The total production of oranges all over the world is about 69 million tonnes.
3. Amazingly unbelievable, the juices of oranges harvested worldwide annually can fill 12,781 Olympic-sized swimming pools.
4. The total production of the top ten largest orange-producing countries in the world is 48.2+ million tonnes.
5. It is believed that oranges had originated in Southeast Asia and had been grown in China since 2500 BCE.
6. This vitamin C rich fruit is one of the most commonly grown tree fruits in the world.
7. One of the most famous varieties of an orange is the Valencia.
8. Orange fruit/juice is rich source also of dietary fibers, calcium, magnesium and potassium.
1. Brazil – 18.2 million tonnes
Brazil is the largest South American countries both in size and population. It is by far the largest producers of oranges in the world with an annual production of 18.2 million tonnes.
2. United States – 7.5 million tonnes
The United States of America is the second largest producer of orange in the world with the states of California and Florida being the largest producers. It produces about 7.3 million tonnes of oranges. This country is also known for its burgers and hotdogs.
3. Mexico – 6.0 million tonnes
With an annual yield of 4.1 million tonnes, Mexico is the 3rd largest orange-producing country in the world. Mexico, the land of the Aztecs, is also famous for its very popular “tacos”.
4. India – 5.0 million tonnes
India is the 4th largest producer of oranges in the world and the largest in Asia. It produces 3.9 million tonnes of oranges every year. India’s most popular foods are seasoned with curry powder.
5. China – 4.1 million tonnes
China, the awakened giant, is Asia’s 2nd largest producer of oranges and ranked 5th in the world. This country is the over-all leader of fruit-producing country in the world.
6. Spain – 3.1 million tonnes
Taking the 6th slot for the largest orange-producing country is Spain. With an annual production of 2.7 million tonnes, it is the largest producer of oranges all over the continent of Europe.
7. Egypt – 2.5 million tonnes
Although large part of Egypt is arid, large tract of lands were converted into plantations by building dams and irrigations. Today, it is now one of the leading producers of fruits such as dates and oranges. With an annual production of 1.8 million tonnes, it is the world’s 7th largest producer of oranges.
8. Italy – 2.4 million tonnes
Italy is not just known for its huge harvest of grapes which are made into world-class and famous wines but also known for its oranges. With a total production of 2.2 million tonnes, Italy is the 8th largest orange-producing country in the world.
9. Indonesia – 2.0 million tonnes
The 9th spot is taken by Indonesia, the world’s largest archipelago. It produces 2.6 million tonnes of oranges annually.
10. Turkey – 1.7 million tonnes
The 10th largest orange-producing country in the world as of 2010 is Turkey with a production of 1.7 million tons.
In addition, Iran, a country located in the region called “Middle East”, is also one of the largest producers of oranges in the world with a production of 1.5 million tons. It is formerly known as Persia. Pakistan also has a yield of 1.5 million tonnes in 2010.